Transportation Considerations: US Olympic Team USA Awards on Wednesday, September 28
Notice sent to the University community. Transportation considerations have been highlighted.
Dear Members of the Georgetown Community,
I am excited to share that on Wednesday, September 28, 2016, at 7:00pm, the Team USA Awards, Best of the Games, will take place here on campus at Georgetown University’s McDonough Arena.
The awards ceremony, hosted by the United States Olympic Committee, will honor Team USA athletes’ performances from the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games. The ceremony will be televised and will air on October 4th on NBC Sports Network, from 10pm-11pm ET. More than 500 members of Team USA are expected to attend the ceremony. You can read more about the awards and the finalists at TeamUSA.org/Awards.
We are working with the United States Olympic Committee to provide a limited number of tickets to Georgetown University students. A university broadcast email with more information will be sent next week.
We are honored to host the Team USA athletes on our campus and celebrate their accomplishments. In addition to gathering in McDonough Arena at 7:00pm for the ceremony, the athletes will gather for a post-ceremony reception in the Healey Family Student Center.
This activity will require some temporary restrictions on our campus on Wednesday, September 28. Below please find a list of road and building closures and alternatives for our community:
Starting at 10:00am on Wednesday, September 28:
- All GUTS buses will utilize Reservoir Road to enter and exit campus and will not stop at the Bus Turnaround. The Arlington, Dupont, Law Center and Rosslyn GUTS shuttles will drop off and pick up outside of the Kober Cogan building (the building to the east of the Leavey Center). The mini shuttle will not be in service during this period. GUTS routes and the Bus Turnaround will operate as normal on Thursday, September 29.
Starting at noon on Wednesday, September 28:
- McDonough Arena and the John R. Thompson Jr. Intercollegiate Athletic Center will be closed to the public. The east entrance of the Athletic Center will remain open for student athletes wishing to gain access to the second floor and the weight room. These buildings will open as normal on Thursday, September 29.
From 2:00pm on Wednesday, September 28 to 7:30am on Thursday, September 29:
- The main floor of the Healey Family Student Center will be closed. Classes and practices on the upper level will still take place.
From 2:00pm to midnight on Wednesday, September 28:
- Southbound West Road traffic will turn east onto North Road (towards Prospect Street).
- Inbound Canal Road traffic will be sent to parking in the Southwest Quad Parking Garage at the P3 entrance or will be sent off campus to Foxhall and/or Reservoir Roads.
- Traffic exiting the P3 entrance to the Southwest Quad Parking Garage will turn left towards Canal Road.
- All Leavey Parking Garage and Garage 4 (underneath the Hariri Building) traffic will exit onto Reservoir Road.
- Throughout this time period Tondorf Road traffic at Library Walk may be blocked.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with these temporary restrictions as we honor our Team USA athletes. If you have questions about traffic, parking or closures on September 28th, please contact the Office of Transportation Management at 202-687-4372 or the Georgetown University Police Department at 202-687-4343.
Vice President for Public Affairs
Senior Advisor to the President