Commencement Travel Impacts, Thursday and Friday, May 16 and 17, 2019
Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community:
As you know, in the coming weeks we will welcome thousands of families and visitors to campus to celebrate the 2019 Commencement (new window).
Commencement activities will begin Thursday, May 16 and continue through Sunday, May 19. In order to create the best possible experience for Georgetown students and their families, we request you make alternate transportation arrangements and avoid on-campus parking on Thursday, May 16 and Friday, May 17.
Given heavy traffic congestion and on-campus parking restrictions, please discuss the following options with your supervisor or department head:
1. Using GUTS and/or public transportation instead of parking on campus. Please note: in order to accommodate Commencement activities within McDonough Gym, the bus turnaround will not be utilized. All GUTS buses and mini shuttles will be relocated to pick up on North Road (new window), south of Cooper Field.
Friday, May 17 is also National Bike to Work Day (new window), designed to celebrate bicycling as a clean, fun and healthy way to commute to work. Georgetown is a designated Bicycle Friendly University (new window) and has over 1,000 bicycle parking spaces convenient to all main campus buildings. For more information about how to participate, please visit www.biketoworkmetrodc.org (new window).
2. Working from home with supervisory approval (no formal telework agreement is needed for these two days).
3. Scheduling leave for the day with supervisory approval.
4. Adjusting schedule to work a full week but avoid coming to work on May 16 or 17 with supervisory approval (for example, a week of four 10-hour days, with no work on either May 16 or 17).
5. Parking at one of the off-campus satellite lots (new window) near the Rosslyn metro stop is available at no charge. The lots are located at 1901 and 1911 North Fort Myer Drive, with close proximity to the regular Rosslyn GUTS stop (new window). Regular parking pass holders can pick up passes for satellite locations in the parking office located on the mezzanine level of the Southwest Garage.
As commencement impacts will continue through the weekend, we also encourage alternate arrangements to avoid on-campus parking. A special GUTS bus to and from Rosslyn will also run on Saturday, May 18, from 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Please visit transportation.georgetown.edu (new window) to see more alternatives for getting to campus. If you have any questions or would like more information regarding off-campus parking locations, please contact the Office of Transportation Management at (202) 687-4372.
We thank you for your attention and flexibility during this time.
Robert M. Groves
Executive Vice President for the Main Campus and Provost
Edward B. Healton
Executive Vice President for Health Sciences and Executive Dean, School of Medicine
Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer