2016 New Student Move-in: Impacts to Faculty and Staff
Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community:
We hope you are having a great summer. We are writing to follow up on our note to you in May regarding new student move-in on Friday, August 26th.
As we have shared, new student move-in is a complex process in which we welcome more than 1,600 new students into their residence halls over a 12-hour period.
In order to facilitate the move-in process and to create the best possible experience for our new Georgetown students and families, we ask that you make alternative transportation arrangements and avoid on-campus parking on Friday, August 26th.
Given on-campus parking restrictions and heavy traffic congestion on campus, please consider the options below on Friday, August 26th. Please discuss all requests and which options make the most sense for your circumstances with your supervisor or department head.
- Using GUTS and/or public transportation. Please note that all GUTS buses will utilize Reservoir Road to enter and exit campus and will not stop at the Bus Turnaround. You can find North Campus bus stops for August 26th for each shuttle on this shuttle map. The mini shuttle will not be in service during this period.
- Working from home with supervisory approval (no formal telework agreement is needed).
- Scheduling leave for the day with supervisory approval.
- Alternate schedule to work a full week but avoid coming in to work on August 26th with supervisory approval (for example, a week of four 10-hour days).
- Parking at one of the off-campus satellite lots, available for regular campus parkers at no charge. Shuttle services from satellite parking locations will be provided. Parking passes for satellite locations are available for pick-up in the parking office located on the mezzanine level of the Southwest Garage.
Please note the following traffic restrictions will be in effect from 7:00am until 11:00pm on Friday, August 26th:
- Canal Road will be closed for outbound traffic.
- Prospect Street will be closed to inbound traffic.
Please visit transportation.georgetown.edu to see more alternatives for getting to campus. If you have any questions or want more information regarding off-campus parking locations, please contact the Office of Transportation Management at (202) 687-6877. We thank you for your attention and flexibility in this important university process.
Dr. Todd Olson, Vice President for Student Affairs
Brenda Richardson Malone, Vice President for Human Resources
Robin Morey, Vice President, Planning and Facilities Management